The Lanka Education and Research Network (LEARN) is the National Research and Education Network (NREN) in Sri Lanka. We interconnect universities, other higher education institutes, and research institutes in Sri Lanka and provide networking related services to them. We are a company limited by guarantee (association) registered under the companies act of Sri Lanka.
Applications are hereby invited from citizens of Sri Lanka for the following post in our office located in University of Peradeniya.
Network/Systems Security Engineer
Responsible for taking most latest network/systems security measures and responding to computer security incidence are essential part of a national research education network. Interaction with service providers and LEARN member institutes on security matters, network/systems configuration and maintenance, user support on security matters, organization of network/systems security training/workshops, technical evaluations related to purchasing are the key roles.
Federated identity management has become an essential part of an LEARN IT infrastructure. The position is also responsible for proper operation of LEARN federated identity management infrastructure which includes a central system and institutional systems.
The position is initially probationary basis and will be considered permanency based on performance.
a). A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering / Telecommunication Engineering / Electrical and Electronic Engineering / Computer Science (4 years degree) and 3 years of proven experience (after graduation) in network and systems security engineering.
b). A bachelor's degree in Science (3 years degree) and 4 years of proven experience (after graduation) in network and systems security engineering.
Age below 35 years.
Relevant professional qualifications or postgraduate studies would be an advantage.
Engineer who has interested in working on following areas
Network and System Security
- collaborate with the national and regional CSIRTs
- collaborate with LEARN Computer Security Incident Response Team (CSIRT)
- mainly use of open source tools/software and practice to meet above requirements
- defining and maintaining security policies and occasionally replacing the security system protocol and architecture
- dealing with other local network operators for taking security measures
- reporting the security analysis and monitoring findings
- informing relevant institutions about the security incidents and providing guidance to rectify the issues
- creating and maintaining virus and threat detection systems
- maintaining firewalls/IDS/IPS devices, virtual private networks, web protocols, and email security
- investigating intrusion and hacking incidents, collecting incident responses, and carrying out forensic investigations
- testing and validating the system for security weaknesses in software and hardware
- research on different ways to solve threats and security issues
- determining latest technologies and processes that improve the overall security of the system
- identifying, monitoring, and defining the requirements of the overall security of the system
- planning, engineering, and monitoring the security arrangements for the protection of the LEARN networkya
Federated Identity Management
- conducting regular programs for institutional technical personal on federated identity management and promotional awareness programs
- implementation and maintenance of LEARN core identity access federation infrastructure
- provide assistance to LEARN member institutes to setup and maintain their own identity management infrastructure
- introducing/maintaining a new centralized services which can be access through federated identity management and use of Open Source software/tool to meet the requirements
- assist with the development and maintenance of automation, repeatable processes, and configuration management
- ability to work after normal working hours when required and in case of critical issues
- concern on security failures of the network and its services on 24/7 basis
- actively handling customer requests while friendly supporting them
- ability to scripting (PHP, Perl, Python, etc)
- ability and willing to teach/share knowledge and experience
- organizing training/workshop, conference etc.
- participating in local and over seas training/workshops
- willingness to stay long time with the organization
- ability to stay around Peradeniya
Salary: Negotiable based on qualifications and experience
Other benefits: Local and over seas training. Well organized career path within the organization. Opportunity and support to engage in research/postgraduate studies on network technologies.
Applications including a resume with the contact details of two non-related referees, copies of certificates for proof of qualifications and experience, and copies of other related documents should be sent by registered post to reach the undersigned. Apply soon, no closing date, available until a right person was selected.
Head of LEARN
Lanka Education and Research Network
Information Technology Center
University of Peradeniya